Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like award show season time....

If you heard a high pitch squeal yesterday morning that you weren't sure where it was coming from, it was probably me when I realized that the Golden Globe nominations were announced yesterday.  The Golden Globes signals the beginning of the award show season.  I love award shows.  I am not sure why, I just do.  I especially like the Golden Globes as they break the movie categories into Comedy/Musical and Drama.  Comedic films tend to not get the appreciation they deserve in other award shows.  That is a shame.

There were several things that excited me about this years nominations.  They include:

1.  Sandra Bullock gets 2 nominations - Sandra Bullock is nominated in the Best Actress in a Comedy for The Proposal and Best Actress in a Drama for The Blindside.  I saw The Proposal and she was absolutely hilarious in it.  I have not seen The Blindside but have heard from those who have seen it that she is wonderful in it.  I have been a Sandra Bullock fan since she first came on the scene in Speed.  These 2 nominations are highly deserved.

2.  Meryl Streep gets 2 nominations in the same category - Meryl Streep got nominations in the Best Actress in a Comedy for her roles in Julie and Julia and It's Complicated.  I haven't seen It's Complicated (I really want to) but I did see Julie and Julia and loved it.  She nailed the part of Julia Child.

3.  George Clooney, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt all get nominations (well sorta) - George is nominated for Best Actor in a Drama for Up in the Air, Matt Damon got 2 nominations (one for Best Actor in a Comedy for The Informant and one for Best Supporting Actor in Invictus), Julia Roberts is nominated for Best Actress in a Comedy for Duplicity and Brad Pitt stars in the Best Drama nominee Inglorious Bastards.  If they all show up to the award show, it will be like a reunion of Ocean's 11 and 12.  Being a big Ocean's fan, this make me very happy.  George, Matt and Brad also bring the pretty so that doesn't hurt either.

4.  Anna Kendrick gets nominated - Anna Kendrick is nominated for Best Supporting Actress for the movie Up in the Air.  Why would this excite me if I haven't seen the movie?  Well, Anna also plays Jessica in the Twilight movies and she is adorable in those.  So I am very happy for her.

One thing that did perplex me about the nominations.  Invictus was nominated several times.  It looks like I may have to go see it.  I really don't want to.

The Golden Globes will be presented on January17.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment