Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone.  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and have a wonderful 2010.  As most of you have probably done, I have made several New Years resolutions.  I probably won't keep them but I will give it the old college try.  I won't bore you with all of them.  The one I will probably have the best chance of keeping is this year I am going to keep track and see how many movies I can see in a year.  I am going to break it down into those I see in the theater and those I see for the first time on DVD.  I have a bad habit of forgetting the last movie I see so this will be a good way for me to keep track.  It will also keep me "in the know" for my job. 

Since today is January 1st, I thought this would be a good day for me to start my quest.  My brother and sister-in-law gave me a movie theater gift certificate for Christmas.  Since it didn't snow and the roads were good, Mom and I decided to put the gift to use go see "Did You Hear About the Morgans?".


"Did You Hear About the Morgans?" stars Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker as Paul and Meryl Morgan.  They live in New York and are currently estranged due to some infidelity on Paul's part.  They get together one evening to try and discuss their marital status.  Upon leaving the restaurant, they witness a murder.  Since they can identify the murderer, they will need to testify against him.  Because the murderer is still on the loose, they are put in the witness protection program and sent to Ray, Wyoming.  There they are guarded by Sam Elliot and Mary Steenburgen.  Needless to say the rest of the story is basically your "fish out of water" story.  And it is an absolutely hilarious "fish out of water" story.

I am a big Hugh Grant fan going back to his "Four Weddings and a Funeral" days.  He never ceases to crack me up.  In this film he cracks me up big time.   (I have come to the conclusion that I must have a thing for British guys.  But that is a whole other blog post).  Sarah Jessica Parker does a fine job as well.  Sam Elliot and Mary Steenburgen are great as the marshalls assigned to protect the Morgans.  It's amazing how many movies lately I have seen with Mary Steenburgen in them.  She is definately not lacking for work.  Sam Elliot continues to be one fine looking man.  I did get a  big surprise in this movie.  Wilford Brimley was in it.  Why does that surprise me?  I honestly thought he was dead.  I am not sure what gave me that idea.  But he's not.  I googled him after I got home from the movie and he's still kicking.  It's probably a good thing there were lots of people in the audience because I almost blurted out " He's alive" when he came on screen.

This movie funny the entire way through it.  As I told my mom afterward, it made me happy.  (She loved it too by the way).  I liked it so much,  I may just have to get it when it comes out on DVD.  

Well I saw my first film in the theater of 2010 (I almost typed 2009, better quit doing that).  It will be interesting to see how many I see this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment