Monday, January 4, 2010

The Princess and the Frog

Yesterday I went to the movies to see my second film of 2010, The Princess and the Frog.  I am so excited that in the first 3 days of 2010 I have already seen 2 movies at the theater.  I am off to a great start.


The Princess and the Frog, Disney's newest animated feature, is set in New Orleans and tells the story of a young girl named Tiana.  Tiana has a gift for cooking.  What she wants most in life to fulfill her father's lifelong dream of opening a restaurant.  She wants it so badly that all she does is work day and night to save the money.  One evening at a fancy party that she is catering, she encounters a talking frog.  The frog is actually Prince Naveen who has come to New Orleans to find a rich wife as his own parents have cut him off financially.  He encounters the "Shadow Man" who uses vodoo to turn the prince into a frog.  He gets Tiana to kiss him, thinking it will turn him back into a prince.  Instead of turning him into a prince, the kiss turns Tiana into a frog as well.  Tiana and Naveen then go to the Bayou to find a way to turn themselves back into humans.  Along the way they encounter Lawrence, the trumpet playing crocodile, and Ray the firefly.  On their journey, they discover what you think you want most in your life and what you need isn't exactly the same thing.

I have said before that I am a huge fan of Disney animated movies.  I absolutely loved this one too.  The music was wonderful.  The characters, especially the supporting ones, were ones that you really could empathize with.  The animation was just wonderful.  As I was watching it, I had the thought cross my mind that I am going to have to buy this when it comes out on DVD to add to my collection. 

A word of warning:  if you have little kids that scare easily, some of the scenes in this movie might scare them.  It is dealing with vodoo and they show some pretty spooky spirits.  I only say this because way back when, my mom took me and my brother to see Snow White.  It didn't bother me a bit, but my brother was terrified of the witch.  He called her Snow White and my parents spent several months checking his closet to make sure Snow White wasn't after him.  My brother would probably kill me for tell that story, but what are big sisters for.

Well, I have 2 movies on my list for 2010.  I can't wait to see how many more I will see this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment